Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Reward Chart

Last week I mentioned I started a reward chart with Andrew. I bought it through scholastic book club, but I think any reward chart would do.

Here's how it works:

Pick a behavior that you want to improve. For us it was Andrew staying in his bed at night. We put him to bed and he would get up about 10 times before falling asleep, so this really was an issue for us.

Next, pick a reinforcer. This is basically a reward for the child when they do what is asked. We chose a thomas the train set.  Now, this is critical. You must explain to the child that you are starting a reward system and this toy is to only be played with when the task is completed. So for Andrew if he stayed in his bed all night, he got to play with Thomas in the morning.

They are not to play with this toy at any other times because then the reinforcer will not be affective.  Give a time limit on how long they get to play with the toy too. Andrew gets 10 minutes and that's it.

When Andrew wakes up in the morning, he puts a sticker on the chart and gets to play with his toy.

When you introduce the reward chart and the reinforcer there's going to be a tantrum because they want to play with the toy then. Stick to your guns. The tantrum will only last about 20 minutes.  After a couple of nights Andrew understood the rules and the system. Kids are very manipulative. Andrew asked several times if he could play with the toy, or put it somewhere else other than where I had it stored: no and no. He would say very cute "I have an idea, I can play with it at night" no. Last, the child gets 1 warning. So for example, I told Andrew he has to stay in his bed all night. If he get's out of bed he get's 1 warning that if he get's up again he will not get his toy in the morning. He never got out of his bed and he even asks me if he can get up to use the bathroom.  If the child doesn't listen after 1 warning then no toy and you will try again tomorrow.

We're on week 3 and he has not gotten out of his bed. This is good way to also build self esteem. The child will see they are doing something good.

Finally, be consistent! It's a lot of work, but it pays off. If you're not consistent everyday the reward chart will not work.

Here is what are chart looks like:





No comments:

Post a Comment

Us

Us

My Boys

My Boys