Wednesday, January 30, 2013

New Year, New Blog

Wow, my last entry was last May! I don't know why I fell off the radar. Work, kids, husband, life?

Quick update: Andrew is 6 1/2 and in 1st grade and doing so well. Adam is 4 in pre-k and is growing too fast. I decided to get back into the blogging world to share my thoughts and wisdom on autism, parenting, discipline, eczema, and gluten-free - to name a few.  Things that I have learned so much about and things that have helped me and my family.

Up first: Gluten-Free and the product of the day

I decided to put Andrew on a 100% gluten-free diet for two reasons. 1. to help with the behaviors associated with autism spectrum and 2. with his eczema that he has had since birth.  Gluten is found in everything bread, pasta, lunch meat, chips, anything processed. It acts as a poison to kids who cannot digest it.  It has really affected Andrew's eczema too. he scratches non-stop until there is blood and his skin is extremely dry.

I have swapped out almost everything for gluten-free. I have tried new things like pastas and breads with no gluten and they taste fine, a little different in texture but good. Udi is a great brand for breads, and quinoa pasta is awesome too.  So far Andrew has accepted our new gluten free life style and you know what? The behaviors have gone down. He's much more compliant and easy going. And the eczema - nearly gone. Amazing.

I did some research on gluten and household products too. For a long time I thought Dove was the best thing for Andrew. Lately though, he's been telling me his skin stings in the bath. I read that the makers of Dove strip the soap of glycerin the ingredient that is needed to moisturize skin. Therefore drying out his skin even more!

So began my hunt for a better soap. I read many good things about goats milk soap or anything that has glycerin in it or palm oils. I found great products at sprouts. The other thing that I have been using is coconut oil. I put this on Andrew morning and night. All over his body, then his medicated lotions for the really red spots and then albolene over his whole body to seal in everything.

It's been two weeks since we have started gluten-free, glycerin soap and coconut oil. Andrew's skin has improved so much. He is less itchy, less redness, the dry skin has gone away and his skin is actually soft!!!

Product of the day:

Coconut oil

No comments:

Post a Comment

Us

Us

My Boys

My Boys