Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Re-energized, Re-couped, and Re-vived!

This weekend my anxiety level was at a all time high. I've been anticipating Raul leaving at the end of the month for two weeks and then he throws in he's working 9-6 next week which means he'll be home close to 8 pm  --- argh. I kinda broke down thinking, "how am I going to take care of these little men without loosing my mind?"  After the waterworks I told myself to suck it up. I can do this. What's my problem. I'm in control of these munchkins; they're not in control of me.

I sat down and re-evaluated my game plan with the kids.  Usually when I get home I cook dinner right away, we eat at 6:30 pm, and then it's bath time. As I write this, I kind of sound like my mom. She was always, and still is, stuck in her routine.  That was it...I need to break my routine and just know that dinner doesn't have to be at 6:30 pm every night. It's okay to play with the kids when we get home. Finally, I tried a new strategy last night, I bathed the kids separately. We usually give them a bath together, but that always turns into fighting, splashing, toys being thrown, someone getting a time out and mom and dad loosing their minds. I mean bath time is supposed to be relaxing, right?

Last night I gave Adam his bath first; got him washed, changed, and put him in the crib with some toys while I got Andrew in the bath. While Andrew was in the bath I actually had time to put Adam to bed. Hmmmm, all this by 7:30 pm, awesome. I had a good feeling about when Raul was gone that I can do this without feeling stressed or over-whelmed with the bedtime routine.

I'm also venturing out of my comfort zone; I'm scheduling more play dates and taking the kids places more on my own. I do go out with them but I need to take them out on more play dates and to fun places. I'm always nervous as Andrew is not the easiest kid. I've had many days of dragging him back to the car kicking and screaming. If I have to discipline in public, so be it. I have a few play dates scheduled with other moms that I'm excited about.

Now that I have my game plan with the kids, it's time for me. I'm back on the wagon with my diet. I want to loose 20lbs. I can do this. Raul promised a $500 shopping spree so this is my motivation!!

2 comments:

  1. I so hear you on this post. My husband travels a lot for work too and it's difficult. Hang in there! Way to innovate on bath time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erica, Thanks for stopping by. It's so tough with the husbands traveling, right? I'm trying to think of ways to make my life a little easier when i'm on my own...:)

    ReplyDelete

Us

Us

My Boys

My Boys